DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES: November 8, 2013
Designers may submit more than one entry in as many of the following categories as they wish.
No entry, however, may be submitted in more than one category. At the discretion of the competition chair and the judges, an entry may be placed in a more suitable category. The Judges may add or delete a category at their sole discretion.
A. New or Completely Renovated Full-Line Department Store
B. New or Completely Renovated Specialty Department Store
C. New Shop Within an Existing Full-Line or Specialty Department Store
D. Hard Line Specialty Stores (e.g., Mall Stores, Standalone Stores, Strip Center Stores including Outlet Centers, or Retail Stores)
E. Soft Line Specialty Store
F. Large Format Specialty Store
G. Outlet Store
H. Value Retail
Food and Beverage
J. Specialty Food, Gourmet Grocer & Delicatessen
K. Fine Dining Restaurant and/or Bar
L. Quick Service Restaurant QSR (e.g., fast food restaurants, food court)
M. Casual Restaurant and/or Bar (e.g., pubs, diners, family restaurants)
N. Bar, Coffee, Tea Shop
O. Convenience/Petrol Store
P. Telecommunications, Mobile Technology Stores
Q. Lifestyle, Health & Well being (incl. Travel)
S. Temporary & Common Area Retail (e.g., Pop-Up Stores, Mobile Food Trucks, Trade Booths, Kiosks or Retail Mall Carts)
T. Brand Spaces (e.g., Manufacturer's Showrooms, Brand Experience Centers, Museums, Exhibitions, Car Showrooms)
U. Financial Services (incl. insurance, investments, etc.)
This is a concealed identity competition. Submitting companies are to comply as follows:
- Only the entry form contains the name of the submitting company. The name of the submitting company is not to appear anywhere else.
- All entry forms also contain the letter code of the entry (see codes A through T above).
- All other submitted materials are to contain only the project name, letter code or Retail Design Institute number if applicable.
Each entry must include the following:
- A signed and completed entry form and a project/photography release form (both follow) for each entry. Be sure to include both the proper category code and Retail Design Institute membership number (if applicable) on the entry form.
- A completed Project Description Form summarizing the project: Important: all text in excess of the max number of words stated may not be seen by the judging panel). Important: Please note the topics on the Project Description Form will be the topics the projects will be judged on Category code and project name only must be included. Do not use a watermark, or include design firm or team name.
- A source list for each project identifying major suppliers such as fixture manufacturer, lighting, etc. with manufacturer's city, state, phone number.
Photography of the project. Maximum number of images for categories A and B is 12 images; all others is 8 images (does not include floor plans). Maximum duration of videos cannot exceed 2 minutes per entry.
Important: Digital images are required. Photos should include an overview together with detailed shots highlighting key areas.
Digital files of photography will be used for the judging, PowerPoint presentations and print publication of winners. Due to the tight turnaround between the judging and publication we are asking for digital files for all entries, whether you are a winner or not. All entries will be kept on file at the Institute and Institute's publisher for consideration for future publication. You may be contacted separately for additional information if the publisher wishes to publish your materials.
A .PDF file of your photo submission is also requested.
- A digital scan of the floor fixture plan.
For Retail Design Institute members the entry fee is $175 USD per entry received on or before Oct. 18; nonmembers, $225 USD per entry. After October 18, the entry fee is $250 USD per entry for members and $350 USD for non-members. The cost per entry for member companies with multiple entries is $200 USD. Please make check or money order payable to the Retail Design Institute. If paying by credit card, please use the Institute's new online form or fill out attached credit card payment form. Accepted: Visa, MasterCard, and American Express in U.S. dollars only.
Terms and Conditions:
All submitted materials become the property of the Institute's publisher and the Retail Design Institute and cannot be returned. Materials will be kept on file by the Institute's publisher and in the Institute's permanent archive. Entrants must certify that the credits, project descriptions and other information on the entry form are correct; that the entrant has the right to be credited with this project; has received permission from the photographer(s) to use the photography; and that the Retail Design Institute and publisher, or an assignee has the right to publish the work, including photography, in print and on the websites; (www.retaildesigninstitute.org) and use in seminars and presentations. Photographers will receive credit for their work, but will not receive additional compensation for reproduction, publication or other uses of architectural images or photographs. Publication will be related to this competition only, in print and online. For any additional usage, the submitter will be contacted separately.
Categories, General Questions:
For Retail Design Institute membership, tickets to Awards Gala, and duplicate awards:
Retail Design Institute International Office, Hollywood, Florida