DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES: NOVEMBER 16, 2012
Designers may submit more than one entry in as many of the following categories as they wish.
No entry, however, may be submitted in more than one category. At the discretion of the competition chair and the judges, an entry may be placed in a more suitable category. The Judges may add or delete a category at their sole discretion.
Department StoresA. New or Completely Renovated Department Store
B. New or Completely Renovated Specialty Department Store
C. New Shop Within an Existing Full-Line or Specialty Department Store
Specialty Stores(Mall Stores, Standalone Stores, Strip Center Stores including Outlet Centers, or Retail Stores within Entertainment Facilities)
D. Hard line Specialty Store
E. Soft line Specialty Store
F. Entertainment/ Amusement Retail
G. Museum Retail/ Hospitality Retail
H. Large Format Specialty Store
I. Outlet Store
J. Value Retail
Food service and convenienceK. Convenience Store
M. Specialty Food/Gourmet Grocer
N. Sit-Down Restaurant
O. Quick Service restaurant concept
P. Fast Casual Restaurant Concept
Q. Food Truck / Mobile Restaurant Concept
R. Bar/ Coffee Shop/ Counter-Service Restaurant
Other RetailS. Pop Up Store/Shop (Temporary Retail)
T. Manufacturer’s Showroom
U. Outlet Center
V. Lifestyle Center/Mall
W. Service Retail
X. Retail Website (also provide web address)
Y. Automotive Dealership
This is a concealed identity competition. Submitting companies are to comply as follows:
- Only the entry form contains the name of the submitting company. The name of the submitting company is not to appear anywhere else.
- All entry forms also contain the letter code of the entry (see codes A through U above).
- All other submitted materials are to contain only the Project Name, letter code or Retail Design Institute number if applicable.
Each entry must include the following:
- A signed and completed entry form and a project/photography release form (both follow) for each entry. Be sure to include both the proper category code and Retail Design Institute membership number (if applicable) on the entry form.
- A completed Project Description Form summarizing the project: One page or less (Important: all text in excess of one page may not be seen by the judging panel). Important: Please note the topics on the Project Description Form will be the topics the projects will be judged on Category code and project name only must be included on each 8 1/2 -by-11-inch sheet. Do not use letterhead, design firm/team name, or page protectors. Hole-punched sheets and binders are sufficient.
- A source list for each project identifying major suppliers such as fixture manufacturer, lighting, etc. with manufacturer's city, state, phone number.
- Photography of the project. Maximum number of images for categories A and B is 12 images; all others -- 8 images (does not include floor plans). Maximum number of videos is 3.
Important: Digital images are required. Photos should include an overview, together with detailed shots highlighting key areas.
Digital files of photography will be used for the judging, PowerPoint presentations and print publication of winners. Due to the tight turnaround between the judging and publication we are asking for digital files for all entries, whether you are a winner or not. All entries will be kept on file at the Institute and Institute's Publisher for consideration for future publication. You may will be contacted separately for additional information if the publisher wishes to publish your materials.
Images on the disk should be saved as high-resolution 300 dpi jpegs (2400 X 3000 pixels). Label each digital file with category code, project name and image number. A .PDF file of your photo submission is also requested.
- Digital scan of floor fixture plan
- Entry Fees: For Retail Design Institute members the entry fee is $175 USD per entry; nonmembers, $295 USD per entry. Please make check or money order made payable to the Retail Design Institute. If paying by credit card, please use the Institute's new online form or fill out attached credit card payment form. Accepted: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover Card in U.S. dollars only.
Terms and conditions:
All submitted materials become the property of the Institute's publisher and the Retail Design Institute and cannot be returned. Materials will be kept on file by the Institute's publisher and in the Institute's permenant archive. Entrants must certify that the credits, project descriptions and other information on the entry form are correct; that the entrant has the right to be credited with this project; has received permission from the photographer(s) to use the photography; and that the Retail Design Institute and publisher, or an assignee has the right to publish the work, including photography, in print and on the websites; (www.retaildesigninstitute.org) and use in seminars and presentations. Photographers will receive credit for their work, but will not receive additional compensation for reproduction, publication or other uses of architectural images or photographs. Publication will be related to this competition only, in print and online. For any additional usage, the submitter will be contacted separately.
Categories, General Questions:Chen Sapirstein
Northern California Chapter President
Andrew McQuilkin, FRDI