Professional, (RDI) Only "Professional Members can utilize the appellation "RDI" after their names to denote accreditation. An individual who meets at least one of the following three requirements 1) An individual engaged on a full time basis in the profession of store environments and design for a minimum of eight years, and shall be professionally competent in five or more of the following areas of endeavor: Store Planning, Retail Design, Architecture, Fixture Design, Merchandising, Lighting, Color and Material Selection, Specification Writing, Project and Construction Administration, and Retail Brand Strategy, and, as certified by two sponsors who are "Professional Members" in good standing of the Retail Design Institute. The Retail Design Institute Chapter will contact the sponsors by email and ask them to complete a reference form regarding your qualifications 2) Same as 1, with a minimum of six years experience for any applicant presenting a four-year degree in Architecture, Interior Design or Engineering from an accredited college or university. 3) Same as 1, with a minimum of four years experience for any applicant presenting a college degree and either NCIDQ or NCARB certification (or international equivalent) . The two professional member sponsors must attest that the application is accurate to the best of their knowledge. If an applicant cannot obtain two Retail Design Institute Professional sponsors, he/she can substitute other professionals from the design or architectural fields. Applicant must also submit a signed statement listing store projects worked on and their specific contributions thereto: together with documentation sufficient to satisfy the Retail Design Institute International Executive of the candidate's professional experience.
- Life Member (RDI) - A retired Professional Member still active in the Institute.
- Fellow (FRDI) - a Professional Member who has exhibited the highest level of professional achievement in their career and made a significant contribution to RDI through a sustained period of service. A member must be nominated by other Professional, vetted by committee and then approved by the Board of Directors.
- Associate - A person on a career track to becoming a Professional Member who is still fulfilling educational, tenure or certification requirements as described above. Upon the fifth and subsequent renewal, the Member shall be reviewed by their local Chapter for fulfillment of requirements and upgrade to "Professional" status
- Allied Members - Essential member of the design and consumer experience team who are specialists in their own right. This includes: Visual Merchandisers, Graphic Designers, Lighting Consultants, In-Store Digital/Technology experts, Draftsmen and Detailers, Marketing Professionals supporting Retail Design and other specialists who are actively involved in the design and creation of retail space.
- Designer Educator - a department head or full time professor or instructor in store design, architecture, graphic design or interior design in universities, colleges, design or technical schools.
- Student Member - Store design, interior design, branding, visual merchandising, graphic design, hospitality design and architectural students presently enrolled on a full time basis in universities, colleges, technical or design schools who are interested in pursuring a career in non-residential design.
- Media Member - Individual editors or writers of architecture, design or the visual arts active in the consumer and branded environment/product profession
- Trade Affiliates (Individual & Supplier)- An individual or supplier representing a company that provides products or services to the consumer and branded environment/product profession
- Honorary Members - individuals form outside the store design profession, such as retailers or other business executives, not otherwise qualified for membership, who have made a significant contribution to the Store Design profession. These individuals are nominated by membership and approved by the Board of Directors.